Saturday, August 10, 2024

Dirty Sheets

A dirty sheets ride wouldn't usually be worth writing about, but back in November or December, last year, my buddy JC, who grew up somewhere near Chattahoochee Hills, mentioned that when he was a kid, his Dad took him down Old Wooten Road, and pointed out a big tree in a clearing, with a bad reputation. It kind of freaked him out as a kid, and though he hadn't seen it in years, he thought he'd recognize it if he saw it again. These days, Old Wooten Road is closed to vehicles, unless you have a deer lease back there, but it's part of the Dirty Sheets route, and so the next time I rode the route, I figured I'd see if I could find it.

It turned out that there was only one notable clearing, with trees in it, that you could see from the road, so I figured it had to be one of these trees.

Clearing off of Old Wooten Road Clearing off of Old Wooten Road

But, it turned out, no, it was neither of those. It was a big, old, oak tree.

Since then, I've ridden the route a dozen times, looking for an old oak tree in some less obvious clearing. But, I haven't found it yet. Either the tree, clearing, or both, appear to be gone. Perhaps, just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment