Monday, February 7, 2022

Mableton

My bike has been mostly broken since December 4th. That's just over 9 weeks as of today.

I say "mostly" because a new rim came in, Glen rebuilt the wheel, and for a few days, it was rideable. But the brakes were giving us all kinds of trouble. One piston on the rear caliper was kind-of stuck. You could fiddle with it and get it to work, but then after some amount of time, it would get stuck out again. When it left the shop, it was working, but then it got stuck again after a while. I managed to get 3 rides in while it was working, and used them to explore some local weirdness.

I don't normally write about local rides, but this one is semi-interesting.

They're tearing out the trees on either side of the railroad tracks near my house. It's not immediately clear why. Are they tearing them out to build a road, or is the road that they're building there so that they can tear them out?

Rippin it Out

Chicken or egg?

It's hard to say. Cobb County doesn't have anything about it on their project page.

I rode all up and down the various dirt roads that are forming though, and made a few interesting discoveries.

The first was this gravestone.

King 1944 Headstone

It's right up against the railroad cut. Like, the cut was definitely made after someone was buried here. What luck that they didn't just plow right through the grave itself!

I didn't see any other stones in the area. Just this one.

The other discoveries were less interesting, but still worth mentioning, I guess. There are various sewer line cuts that I'd never seen before, including one that leads to and around(ish) a lake that I've always wondered whether there were trails near. It turns out yes.

It's been raining a lot lately, and freshly cut dirt roads are horrible to ride in the rain, so it hasn't been too terrible that my bike's in the shop. If it's ever fixed though, I've got a few new trails to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment