Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Forney

One of the terrible things about the Forney area, is the horrific black clay. It's incredibly sticky. If one drop of rain falls from the sky, and you take two steps through the yard, your shoes will immediately be caked up with an inch of black clay. Ok, that's probably an exaggeration, but the point is, that if it rains, don't touch dirt. If you touch dirt, the dirt is that clay, and it'll cake up on whatever touches it, making your day miserable. If it's warm out, the next day, things usually return to normal, but if it's cold, you've got to wait 3 to 5 days for everything to dry out again.

My Dad and I rode Sunday, but then Sunday night and most of Monday, it rained.

Great. I'd hoped to hit Wildcat Ranch and all kinds of roads to the south, but it just wasn't going to happen this trip.

On the upside, I did wake up that morning to the gentle sound of a bunch of doves sheltering on my windowswill.

Doves on the Windowsill

And we did get Cowboy Chicken for lunch.

Cowboy Chicken

So, it wasn't all bad.

The next day, it wasn't raining any more, and there actually are a few bits of gravel around town that you can ride - the road along the railroad tracks, two cemeteries, and the road leading down to, and back up from the substation. Feeling like at least doing something, I hit those spots, and milled around downtown a bit as well, where there are various sights to be seen.

The Old Gin Forney Mural Downtown Forney The Caboose 4:44 Jackrabbit

There's a museum downtown too, that I've never been to, but keep meaning to check out. It's always the same though, I see it when I'm on the bike and can't reasonably go, but then I forget about it later.

On the way back, I hit the paved trails of the Forney Community Park, then eventually took 1641 back to the house.

I was more appropriately dressed for that ride, and didn't freeze. On paper, it wasn't that great of a day, but I remember enjoying it at the time, and I remember it fondly now... I guess that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment