Sunday, March 3, 2019

River Line Park

In keeping with my recent trend of writing about rides that I wouldn't normally write about...

While tooling around River Line Park off of Oakdale Road during a local ramble, I ran into this historically significant thing...

Shoupade on Johnstons River Line

I mean... It doesn't look like anything when you just take a photo of it, but it's apparently a "Shoupade" - a fortification used by Johnston's men during the Civil War, part of the River Line (from which the park derives its name) and designed by a guy named Shoup (from which it derives ITS name).

More info was available on the sign that accompanied the work.

Shoupade Marker

The other interesting thing on that ride was hearing these two guys talk that were walking the trail around the park. One guy was trying to tell the other guy a story, and the other guy was laughing so hard that he couldn't easily pay attention. Then, the first guy (telling the story) started laughing, and couldn't get through a sentences without cracking up. This went on from the point I noticed them, until they were far enough away that I couldn't hear them any more.

Seemed like they were having a great time. I couldn't remember the last time I cracked up like that, and it was really fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment