Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cumming

This morning I could barely even remember that last road ride I'd done and I tried hard to get one in today but it was like God didn't want me on the bike or something.

It took me a while to find my riding clothes. Apparently I'd left them in the trunk last weekend. If I'd done that in the summer, I'd have asphyxiated sometime last week upon opened the car door but being fall, they just hung out back there, unnoticed.

So it was tough to get out of the house but once I did, everything went well for a while. I rode around my house, ran by the Dutch Monkey for whatever meal you want to count that as and eventually rode over by Reality Bikes to pick up a pair of road tubes. I'd only had one left and it looked like it was for my wife's Townie and probably wouldn't fit under my tire.

Franklin told me how just last weekend he was riding at Chicopee with a buddy and he'd flatted, the spare had a hole in it and then the secondary spare blew too so they just walked out. Something like that. "Terrible luck." I thought.

Then I wasn't back on the road for more than 5 seconds before flatting too. Ha! I changed it, ran back to the shop for another tube and CO2, realized the tire was sliced, bought a new tire too, aired it up and "Bang!" blew that tube too. I'd gotten it pinched under the bead. I'd even checked my work, three times. Don't trust me to fix your bike.

Chris had been walking by and joked "Don't blow that one up." Yeah. I ended up buying a tire, four tubes and a CO2 today.

Also, it rained the whole time. Did I mention that?

Hey, I still got to ride for a couple of hours and it was fun and I needed a new rear tire anyway, so I can't really count today's experience as negative. I just hope the next one is a little less interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment