Monday, July 6, 2020

Mableton

Every now and then, I find something cool in my own backyard. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's pretty good.

Case in point, a few weeks back, while out riding around, I noticed that there are two distinct Allen Roads near my house, disconnected from one another. It seemed unlikely that they were always disconnected like that, so I rode out to the end of the one that had an end, and what did I find?

Stuff!

It looks like Allen Road SW used to dive down to this creek (which I'll call Allen Creek, because why not?), crossed it, and ascended back up to Allen Road SE. I didn't actually see a road leading back up the other side, so there may have been a bridge at some point, or maybe the road was more visible before the land was leveled for the house that's over there now. Who knows? What I do know is that there are the remains of an old dam down there.

Allen Creek Dam Ruins Pipe at Base of Dam on Allen Creek

I didn't see anything resembling a raceway, or any other mill-related structures, so I imagine it was for flood control, but whatever it was for, it's blown to pieces now.

The creek itself looked like something straight out of North Georgia.

Shoal on Allen Creek Allen Creek 1 Allen Creek 2

Except for pipes running back and forth across it every which way (which I managed to keep out of these photos), I'd think I was exploring the Upper Chattahoochee.

Cool local find!

No comments:

Post a Comment