Monday, June 29, 2009

Coopers Creek

show on map

I'm back from the beach. Vacations are good, but it's also good to be home. My mountain bike has literally been collecting cobwebs for a week. All night I imagined it whining like a neglected puppy, dying for a walk. This morning I slept in a bit, but when I finally got up, there was little on my mind but putting it back to work, exploring the mountains.

There are plenty of purple lines on my maps. In my brain, I chucked a dart and... Coopers Creek WMA, Dixon Creek area. Got it. Let's go.

If it's been a while since I last rode, I often forget the problems I had the last time. Not the big problems, but the little ones. For instance, I popped a spoke last time. That was a big problem, and I got it fixed, but I forgot that my chain wouldn't drop to the little ring without extra coercion and that it shifted out over the big ring onto the crank sometimes too. Not a big problem, but I needed to have fixed it. I didn't. Also, I needed to have gotten some chain lube. Again, I didn't. The shifting I could just live with, but neglecting a noisy chain is asking for trouble. Phil Wood to the rescue. Somehow I did have some of that on hand. Hopefully I'll remember to attend to that stuff properly this week. For now, the band-aids will do.

Ahh, exploring. Low stress, measured in hours, not miles. Usually it's a lot of riding on this.

FS88

And a lot of walking on this.

Old Mulkey Gap Road

Sometimes you find something cool, usually you don't.

Today was just like that. I rode a bunch of forest roads and walked on a bunch of old logging trails. None of the trails went anywhere interesting. I didn't find anything cool. No big deal though, sometimes just looking is fun.

There was one weird thing though. As I approached Fish Gap, I swore that I heard music, like a car radio, then a crow's caw, then silence. I expected to see someone parked up there but when I got to the gap, there was nobody there. Was someone with a handheld radio hiding in the bushes? Did I mistake an argument between birds for music? I've heard of people having auditory hallucinations when they're really fatigued, I even saw it on a TV documentary once, but I was not very tired at the time. It was really, really weird.

I did pass the Stone Toilet of Fish Gap. It's seen better days. Someone knocked two of the sides over. The first time I saw it, it was in perfect shape and Sophie even used it. Today I was too lazy to fix it.

 Toilet

Not much else to say. It was a decent day, I rode/walked for 4 or 5 hours, flatted once, saw one turtle, and that's about it.

I've got the 3rd of July off. Maybe I'll do something cool then. ORAMM is coming up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment