Monday, January 18, 2010

Oak Mountain

My buddy Brooke was in Birmingham this past week for her niece's baptism. While she was in town, she invited some of us over to camp and ride at Oak Mountain. Me and Joe, another old friend of hers, were the only ones that could make it. She and Joe went riding Saturday, but since Iz had a gym meet Saturday afternoon, I couldn't make it until Saturday night.

I've run into trouble every time I camp at Oak Mountain, and this time was no different. I'd arrived too late and couldn't get in, and try as they might, Brooke and Joe couldn't convince them to let me in. We had to employ some creative measures, but an hour later I was sitting by the fire. Unfortunately, we only got to hang out for about an hour before it was time to crash out.

The next morning, Joe cooked up some eggs and biscuits. Brooke and I retrieved my truck. We hung out for a few more hours and they got on the road.

It was still raining a little, and in the 40's, but Oak Mountain is the best trail there is in bad weather. I'd brought all my UL camping gear that I plan on taking with me on my next Trans-Georgia attempt, so I spun a lap with it on. The pack was comfortable. It basically felt like a full camelback. Nice. I'd originally wanted to do 3 laps, but it was cold and wet, and I just couldn't motivate myself to keep going. I tried to spin around the new Lake Trail they're working on, which isn't finished and just ended abruptly. I followed the pin flags for a while and eventually just had to walk out. I should have just gone out for another lap, it probably would have taken the same amount of time.

I only took 2 pics all day. There's an old homestead along the bike trail.

 Oak Mountain Chimney

 Oak Mountain Spring House

All in all, it was a so/so trip. It was great to see Brooke and Joe, but we didn't get to hang out for all that long, the weather sucked and the ride was OK at best. Some days are just like that though. Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment