Thursday, April 30, 2009

Weekly Beatdown

For the past few weeks I've been getting dropped left and right from the Reality ride. But thanks to steady deployment of the secret weapon (riding my bike to work), I hung on easily yesterday.

Things were going well for a while, but the group became confused at the top of Elmo Road. One of the organizers had asked us to stop and buy gatorade from the store there to show support for the community, and the bike shop was going to reimburse us, or something. I didn't totally understand. Apparently nobody did. Half of the group stopped and the other half was like "Why are you stopping?" I half regretted stopping, but it felt like the right thing to do.

Afterward, our group pushed it for the rest of the ride. I pulled some guys into the final sprint. But leaning through the last curve, I could see something was wrong. Chaos. Mass carnage. Riders were down. Bent derailleurs everywhere, but by a miracle, no injuries. I might have been in that sprint group, but thanks to the ripple effect of disconnected coincidence, the wrecking ball swung well ahead of me. I guess the store was the right decision. Karma, karma, karma.

If I don't get blown up this weekend, I'll try again next Wednesday. This weekend will be busy though; 6 hours of Yargo on Saturday and Oak Mountain on Sunday. Pray for my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment