Monday, June 20, 2011

Blankets Creek

Blankets Creek was the first trail I ever rode in Georgia. That was back in 2000 when I first moved here. Since then, I've ridden probably a thousand miles there and watched it grow and grow. Yesterday I realized that I've been there 3 or 4 times in the last year, but only with my kids. I couldn't even remember the last time I rode the grown-up trails. Between that and the sort-of-nearby, relatively new, unridden-by-me Rope Mill trails, Blankets seemed like the right place to ride yesterday morning.

In truth though, I was still kind of tired from that ridiculous hike on Saturday and I didn't want to hammer myself into the ground. Also, I kind of wanted to hang out with some friends, maybe more that even than just ride. My brother had called that morning, so he was in. I tried to collect up some other folks but everybody else was previously engaged, mainly with Father's Day stuff. I even put out a last minute "somebody come ride with me" on Facebook but got no takers.

It took a monumental effort for my brother to meet me. His front tire wouldn't hold air and it took him all morning to get it fixed. Between that and just general difficulty getting out of the house, he met me at 4:30 and not 5 minutes later realized he'd left his helmet at home, in Douglasville, over an hour away.

He'd been wanting to get a new helmet anyway, so we headed over to Outspoken Bikes where they had the exact helmet he wanted, but in blue. If it had been any other color, he'd have bought it, but it didn't match a stitch of clothing he owned and if one is dropping $250 on a helmet, one would like to not hate the way it looks. He tried on every other helmet in the store. None fit but that one. Eventually he just gave up, dropped me back at the trail and headed home.

I spun a big loop. There's a new section on the Dwelling Trail with some jumps. The old fire road climb has become a downhill run with even bigger jumps. There were a couple of new log-rides. The recent storms had left their mark in a few places; downed trees and a couple of washed out downhills.

It wasn't that much fun; not that the trails there aren't fun, but my heart just wasn't in it. I'd originally planned on riding Blankets then heading over to Rope Mill on the road and riding there too, but when I got back to the car, it was already 7:45 and I just couldn't motivate myself to do it. Lame.

I didn't even take any pictures.

I'm tired these days. Not your average tired either; some kind of long, deep tired; the kind where you're preoccupied with how tired you are. Nothing seems all that much fun. Even things that I normally love. What a drag. I hope I can kick this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment