Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Chattahoochee Hills

Goodness, it's going to take a while to get through this backlog...

Apparently I haven't written about anything since August, and it's now October. Plenty of Adventure during that time, but plenty of work too.

Lets get started...

On August 9th, I did a random after-work Dirty Sheets ride, only to discover some stuff I'd somehow never seen before.

It occurred to me to look around Rico Park a bit...

Rico Park Sign Rico Park

...and back by Judy's Home Plate...

Judy’s Home Plate

...I found a trail looping through the woods. There was no indication of what kind of traffic was allowed, and since "if it doesn't say don't, I might", I gave it a spin. And, after doing so, the very short length, and presence of landscape pavers over much of the trail gave me the distinct impression that it was intended to be hiked, rather than ridden.

I probably won't be adding it to my standard Dirty Sheets loop going forward, but it was neat to check out.

Even neater though, was what I noticed across the street as I exited that end of the park: the Old Rico Cemetery.

Old Rico Cemetery Sign

I'd ridden and driven past it over and over, for years and years, but somehow never noticed.

Most of the graves were pretty old.

G.W. Griffith Grave Larger View G.W. Griffith Grave

So many were just stones though, with no markings on them at all.

There were various more elaborate tombs as well, all well worn by the intervening years.

More Old Rico Cemetery Ruins Old Rico Cemetery Ruins

Very, very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment