Monday, July 10, 2023

Potatopatch

The previous week, I'd managed to eek out a few rides on a questionable tire repair, but after waking up to it completely flat several days in a row, I finally bit the bullet and replaced it. Fortunately I had a spare on hand. Armed with an ostensibly reliable bike, I figured it was time to get in some time in the actual mountains.

I didn't have a goal in mind, other than to ride the general Bear Creek area, so I headed up to Mulberry Gap to get things going.

MGap Barn

Tori was there, but Kate and Andrew were up in Canada or something, experiencing actual Adventure, woo!

I headed over to Bear Creek via Shakerag...

Farm on Gates Chapel Road

...but only felt-kind-of okay. I hoped that, like last time, I was just feeling weak, but was actually strong. This would not turn out to be the case.

On Gates Chapel, across the bridge from where people usually park, I could see this horse with its head over the gate, I guessed hoping someone will come by and say hi.

Friendly Horse

It turned out that I guessed right. It was really friendly and really happy to see me (or probably anyone) and I gave it lots of pats and rubs and scratches, and it kept gently pushing its head into the side of mine, for 5 minutes at least. It was so nice, that I hope I see that same horse again next time I'm up there.

The climb up bear creek was a little difficult. I mean, I had it, but it wasn't easy. I was still feeling the ribs, and honestly, not 100% recovered from being sick almost a month earlier.

Fortuantely, it was a really nice day, and the conditions were perfect.

Gennett Poplar Bear Creek Trail Bear Creek Trail

There was this washout up near the switchback, that I hadn't noticed before.

Washout on Bear Creek

Which, I guess one could consider a detractor, but it was interesting, so I'm not counting it.

At the overlook, it was hazy.

Fort Mountain from the Overlook

Maybe poor air quality was also dragging me down. Who knows?

On the way up to Potatopatch, I toyed with the idea of riding Mountaintown, but by the time I got there, I'd long abandoned the idea.

Potatopatch

The rollers on the way over would just eat me up. Maybe next time.

The descent back down was amazing. I managed to set a few PRs coming down, somehow.

I also managed to ride the switchbacks, which I felt good about, because I'd missed the first one the last time I was up there. A lady that watched me ride the third one, and we joked that I had to make it, since someone was watching.

About 1/3rd of the way down the section that runs directly along the creek, I pinch flatted my brand new tire. First ride on it. Great. That's just my luck lately. I pulled out my plug kit, and I was out of plugs. Yep. I'd forgotten to get more after using them all up the last time. Time to go old school and put a tube in it.

Fix-a-Flat

How embarrassing.

I managed the rest of the descent without incident, and the ride back was actually lovely. Even the cows made me happy.

Cows

I got to MGap just in time to grab a shower and say goodbye to Tori. They were closing up right as I was heading out.

I grabbed dinner at Shane's in Ellijay, and my name was DDAVE on the receipt.

DDAVE

Heh, DDAVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment