Monday, November 6, 2023

TNGA 2023 (Spectating)

August 19th, 2023 was TNGA day! I wasn't riding, but I figured I'd head up and enjoy the spectacle, as I am prone to do. Sadly, no kids with me this year, but they're off leading their own adult lives, as they should be.

I managed to wake up on time, and the drive up was lovely. It's always dark when I roll into town, so I was able to see the cross up on Screamer Mountain. I even made it to Clayton before they left the hotel, and got to see all the bikes, and talk to all the people.

TNGA Bikes TNGA Riders Early Morning in Clayton

Everybody was a mix of excited and apprehensive. It was lovely to see.

At sunruse, we wagon-trained out to the border. It's always a beautiful drive.

Sunrise in Warwoman Foggy Warwoman Almost There

When we got there, everybody that had something to do got down to business. I milled around talking to people I only see once a year, and taking pictures.

GA State Line Chattooga

Speaking of people I only see once a year, Diane was there!

Diane

She'd driven up to help out. Whenever I see her, I realize how much I miss her and Ginny. Not that Kate and Andrew aren't great, I just ALSO miss them.

Tom Kesling and Shannon Amos were riding this year.

Tom and Shannon

I rode a long way with Tom back in 2019. Shannon, I'd just met on a training ride earlier this year. Both were looking good and strong.

Jeff and Kate were all business.

Jeff and Kate

Wild Bill Riddle Was riding again this year!

Wild Bill Riddle

So was Jeph.

Jeph

I'd done a dozen Thursday night Vomet rides with him earier this year, and it was funny to see him somewhere other than on the local trails.

On your marks...

TNGA Start

Go!

And they were off, never to be seen again.

Rather than head back immediately, we gave the riders what we figured was enough time to turn off of the pavement before heading out. I think I passed like one or two, but that was all.

The MGap crew headed back to the motel and crashed for a few hours. Most of them would head to Helen that evening to pick up the first round of scratched riders. I, ironically, headed back to Mulberry Gap, where I took a long nap in the Hammock...

Hammock Feet Hammock Selfie

...before heading over to a party.

On the way out of town, I passed the iconic billboard. Some time ago, all of the signs had been removed, and it sat empty like that for months. I was surprised to see two new ones on it.

Ellijay Billboard

So, that's progress, I guess?

I still don't know why they were removed, or what the plan for the future is.

Marc, Mark, and Ed had ridden at Bull earlier in the day, and invited me along. Since I was TNGAing, I couldn't make it to the ride, but I could make it to the party at Ed's lake house that afternoon, and I wasn't going to miss a party!

His house was way back in the middle of nowhere. The kind of nowhere where you get shot for walking up on a house uninvited. This looked like the place though!

Hawaiian Sasquatch

Turned out it was! I don't honestly remember what the occasion was. Maybe his older daughter's birthday? It was luau themed though, and there was a huge spread of food and dessert. We ate and drank, and swam in the lake. The way the dock was set up, there was a patio above the boat house, and if you were brave enough, you could leap off the railing, out over the awning, and into the lake. I was brave enough, and it turned out most of the chicks at the party were too, but fewer of the guys than I expected.

At some point, a ska band got cranked up, and we danced and sang for like 2 more hours...

The Band

...before eventually some limbo broke out. Despite not having limboed for decades, I managed to hold my own, only getting defeated by a couple of much shorter 20-year old girls. Man, it was a good time!

I eventually had to head back for some reason. I don't specifically remember what it was. Maybe to meet Carrie? Yeah, I saw her that night, so probably that.

Great day, all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment